Saturday, January 31, 2009

grand canyon

Made it to the Grand Canyon. Took lots of pictures but this is one of those places that you have to see-pictures don't do it justice but here are a few.

This is not a fruit stand. The Indians set up several of these along side the road and sell indian crafts and jewerly. I bought a couple of pieces. Yes it is made by the Indians from beads bought at Michaels.



This is the Little Colorado. It is the beginning of the Grand Canyon. From where we were standing the water looked real thick, like mud.
Just look and enjoy a few of these pictures without any comments from me.




This is a watchtower that they built in 1931 as a gift shop for the tourists. People would ride 12 hours to see the Canyon from Flagstaff, AZ.

























I just think this is a neat tree. I called it narley.

You have to look real hard but there is a suspension bridge. S0me 440' long. (Middle to the right) The 2" cable was carried into the canyon by indians every 10'. There is a "Phantom Ranch" on the other side of the cliff (to the left) where you can stay when you walk down into the canyon.











When I first saw the Grand Canyon my first thought was "What did the pioneers think when they saw this". Did they see how awesome it is? Did they see how powerful and moving it is? Phil said no they probably said a few curse words, and figured out how to go around it. No matter how awsome and magnificant The Grand Canyon is, how powerful and moving to look at it is. I found this last picture to be what I was looking for the last hour or so.











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys are soooo lucky it was 69 here today. So we were lucky too.
Love and miss ya.
Michelle

Anonymous said...

46 degrees at 1:30 Super Bowl Sunday. Thanks for all the photos I really think it is amazing that you are taking the time and effort to post and share. You are great! ENJOY! bel