Monday, January 19, 2009

Arizona family

This is the main reason we came to Arizona this January. This is my "close" cousin Linda (she is 7 days older than me) her husband Johnny, my Aunt Esther (my dad's sister), and cousin Beverly. Phil and I are in the back.
And here is Linda and Johnny's daughter Stephanie and her daughter Brieanna 5 and son Tyler 9. Her husband Rob was at home. Steph reminds me of a young Linda (her eyes mainly) and a little of Johnny.




Saturday we spent the day Mission hopping. This is Mission San Xavier Del Bac just a little south of Tucson. Built in the 1700s. It is in the constant act of refurbishment, inside and out. This is a corner of the inside where a wooden statute lies, under the blue blanket, people think that it you touch the blanket and lift the head you are blessed.

Phil went out in search of food and this Indian
called him Santa Claus so he stopped and they talked before Phil asked for Flatbread. It reminds me of left over pie dough that mom would put in the oven and bake and then sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on it. They take a bread like shell and deep fry it and then sprinkle the cinn and sugar on it. It was pretty good.


This is the Tumacacori Mission in Tubac. It is in what they call "adobe ruin". It went without a roof for 60 years. Built in the 1800s it is slowly being refurbished. But I enjoyed seeing the way it was built. You can see the adobe bricks and such.


On the inside you can still see some of the paintings on the wall in bits and pieces. You can see the new roof. Under the steps they say are buried a couple of the Franciscan priests.

We ended our mission hopping with a picnic lunch I had packed. It was a fun day









After attending church with Linda and family I went shopping and Phil went for a motor cycle ride in search for Wyatt Earps outhouse door handle. The lady at the museum said that was just a urban legend. But he did find the gulley when Tom Mix had his car accident and died. He thought it was strange that they had a statute of "Tony" his wonder horse but no picture of Tom Mix. I think this proves that he will find any excuse to go on a "Road Trip".







5 comments:

Jackie Kennedy said...

What a great share! I wish I were there with you enjoying your weather instead of mine! I am glad you have this time off and hope you don't get to homesick! Talk to you in March!
Have a great time.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

who is tom mix? and what is the ledgend about whyat erps outhouse door handle? sounds like a fun day love ya
Michelle

Anonymous said...

It's so good to read about you sightseeing!!! I'm with you about the yard thing, I like rock just fine and the cactus have got to be a cheap security system. I'm gonna ask Jon if he wants to consider it.

Did grandpa get to see the picture of all of you?

Becki

Anonymous said...

I just love the picture of Linda, Johnny, Bev, Aunt Esther and you and Phil. Also, all the pictures of your sightseeing. How Fun!!
I just want to know one thing. So, did you lift the blue blanket?
Love, Patty

PS: I'm ashamed of you for not teaching your girls history. Michelle has never heard of Tom Mix? And, he's even before your and my time. haha. I'll have to ask Loni if she's ever heard of him. Probably not.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! BEL