Monday, March 22, 2010

Desert comes to Life-1

I was doing the exciting job of getting our laundry done this late morning and my cell phone rings. It is Phil. He says "when you get laundry done we will go look at the Az/desert Poppies they are yellow" I said sure I have nothing planned".

WOW we drove west out of Tuscon and entered Saguaro National Preserves. It is a winding road and up hill. We drove around a curve and over the pass and again WOW. Ahead of us was a sea of yellow poppies amonst the different cactus of Arizona.


This is the Ocotillo. I call it the desert Christmas Tree. It is the brightest ever-green color in the desert. It will only leaf out if there is alot of rain and, of course, this year they have had alot of rain. It is like a stick bush. These spears go from the ground with leaves all the way up and then you see these orange flowers at the end. These were small ones about 6-8 ft tall.
I have no idea what these plants are but can you just image what the different colors bring to the browns of the desert.






I enjoyed this so much and I can only hope that you can somehow see the awesome beauty in all this.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should tell everyone to click on the pictures and look at them big because they are amazing!!! I really mean that, you are doing a great job (i would still like to see you IN one once in a while though). My favorite of all is the one with the yellow flowers and the different cactus that is a really great photo! The pink flowers remind me of our trees in our yard. I have never wanted to go to the desert by you have changed my mind- I just need to go in the spring! Thanks!!
Michelle